Friday, August 7, 2015

I miss bookstores

It’s weird. It’s been gone for a month or so now, but I still can’t believe it’s gone. No, that’s not right. I can, I just don’t want to. Of course, I certainly didn’t help. And apparently enough people also didn’t. Oh sure, I enjoyed going, but not buying. I’d browse, peruse. Hell, I even went three weekends in a row to read a book. Seriously, I’d go to Borders, read for an hour or so, head next door to the sushi place to get an eel bowl and some sake, then head back for another hour of reading. I never bought the book. Even when I started to really get back into reading, I wouldn’t buy anything except the cheapest of bargain buys. The Wise Man’s Fear (amazing, btw) came out and I bought it from Amazon. It was half price (hard cover for essentially paperback price), and shipping was free (thanks Amazon Prime trial). How many hours did I spend in there, killing time before a movie in the last eleven years? More than a hundred? I wouldn’t doubt it. How much money did I spend there over the last eleven years? Probably five hundred. Most of it on non-books. I’ve read some people blame it on the rise of the e-reader. I’m sure that contributed, but I really think it started with the internet offering HALF OFF. There are few things I need immediately. And even if I absolutely desired getting a book today, there’s no guarantee that a store would have it in stock. I recently ordered a bunch of books from (you guessed it, Amazon) and just selected the free shipping option (I didn’t keep the Prime, but I’m sure it’s a great deal for some) and waited 10 days.

Fuck, where’m I gonna get Secret Santa Christmas gifts now?

BTW: This is an old blog entry from 2011 or so that I had saved before the host went away. I am presently very happy with my Amazon Prime. Speaking of Amazon, have you checked out my  zombie e-book on Amazon?

No comments:

Post a Comment